International Education Programs

Study Abroad Programs

Since 1974, Broward College has conducted study abroad programs around the world that allow students the opportunity to travel to another country while earning academic credit toward their degree. Study abroad is open to students of all programs of study who are at least 18 years of age and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher. Programs range from one week to an entire semester in length. Information regarding BC study abroad programs and available scholarships can be obtained by contacting the Greene International Education Institute at 954-201-7709 or by visiting the webpage online at

College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Study Abroad Programs

Broward College is an active member of the College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS), an international organization established for the purpose of providing affordable, high-quality study abroad programs to college students. Through our membership in CCIS, Broward College offers summer and semester-length academic programs in nearly 30 countries around the world including Australia, Japan, China, Ecuador, England, France, Spain, and Italy. Students earn Broward College credits through their participation in these programs. BC sponsors CCIS programs in Spain, Costa Rica, Austria, and Peru with discounted rates and scholarships available for Broward degree-seeking students.

The Broward College Spain Program was established in 1979 to provide students the opportunity to study abroad for a semester or summer in beautiful Seville, Spain. Students can enroll at the International College of Seville or the University of Seville and earn 12-18 U.S. credits during the semester program and 6 U.S. credits during the summer program. Unlike other study programs in Spain, this program does not require proficiency in the Spanish language. Students may participate in additional coursework in English or Spanish depending on their existing level of language proficiency.

Semester and summer opportunities also are available in Lima, Peru through the College’s affiliation with the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola. The semester program in Lima offers coursework conducted in English or Spanish in subject areas such as Hospitality/Tourism Management, Marketing, Economics, International Business, International Relations, Culinary Arts, and all levels of Spanish language. Students earn 12-15 U.S. credits for their participation in a semester program and 6 U.S. credits for their participation in a summer program.

Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs

Broward College also conducts several short-term, faculty-led study abroad programs during the spring break and summer term. Destinations and coursework offered to vary by the year. Programs are led and coursework is taught by Broward professors who accompany the students abroad during the international travel component, which lasts between 1-3 weeks. Participants earn between 3-6 credits upon successful completion of the program and course. Programs are open to BC students at least 18 years of age with a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher and community members at least 18 years of age who wish to apply to the college and register for a study abroad program. For information on available programs, please contact the Greene International Education Institute at 954-201-7709 or visit the webpage online at

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Many types of state and federal aid may be applied to study abroad programs. There are also scholarship opportunities available to students looking to subsidize their travel costs. Institutional funding such as the William E. Greene Scholarship for Semester Study Abroad—a partial scholarship awarded each fall and spring term to students interested in studying abroad in Spain or Peru. Also, short-term travel grants are available to BC degree-seeking students who are participating in BC sponsored study abroad programs. External scholarships such as the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship and the Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship also provide additional funding for study abroad programs. For information on funding opportunities, please contact the Greene International Education Institute at 954-201-7709.

International Partnership Programs

Broward College has established formal linkages with several institutions of higher education around the world. Since 1981, BC has maintained academic affiliations with a number of educational institutions located in Europe, Asia, and South America. Broward College’s regional accreditation does not transfer to these international partners. However, the BC program offered at these locations is approved to award BC credits leading to the AA or AS degree.

International partners utilize the BC curriculum and offer courses and programs similar to those offered at BC. Broward College provides technical assistance to facilitate the parallelism and quality of the academic programs offered at all international locations. This includes conducting site visits to observe classes, meet faculty, staff, and students, and evaluate the adequacy of facilities, learning resources, and student support services.

SACSCOC Approved International Centers

Broward College also conducts programs approved by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) where students enroll and register in college credit courses as Broward College students at these locations:

  • Broward Center for American Education (BCAE), Guayaquil, Ecuador
  • Garodia International College (GIC) Mumbai, India
  • Center for American Education at the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola (USIL), Lima, Peru
  • American College of Higher Education (ACHE), Colombo, Sri Lanka
  • Broward International University Brazil (BIUB), Minas Gerais, Brazil
  • Vietnamese American Vocational Technical Center (VATC), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
  • International University of Santa Cruz (IUSC), Santa Cruz, Bolivia
  • Shanghai Polytechnic University (SPU), Shanghai, China
  • The American College in Spain (ACS), Marbella, Spain
  • Sampoerna American University College (SUAC), Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Zhejiang University (ZU), Hangzhou, China

International Students (F1/M1 VISA) Admissions Process

Applying to Broward College as an international student is simple. Here you will find an outline of the admissions requirements, documents needed, international student application, and a guide on what to do after you apply. International students should apply to the college four to six months in advance of the anticipated semester of enrollment to allow time for the visa appointment at the American Embassy.


  • Step 1: Apply online.
  • Step 2: Fill out and submit the electronic supporting document forms. Passports, bank statements, education records, and other documents must be attached to the online Dynamic forms.
  • Step 3: Pay the $75 (USD) non-refundable application fee.
  • Step 4: Complete any required testing.
  • Step 5: A student's application is reviewed as soon as it is complete (all documents and required test scores received). The estimated review period is 7 to 10 business days. During peak times, it may take 14 business days. Completed applications are reviewed in the order received. If the application is complete and the applicant is admissible, the students will be notified, and the acceptance packet and I-20 immigration document will be sent to the student.

Application Deadlines

International students (F1/M1 immigration status) start classes in Session I. Application deadlines are available at

Application Process

Step 1: Apply Online

Before Applying, Read the Information Below

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and Certificate programs: These programs require the M-1 vocational student visa, but not all programs/certificates qualify for the M-1 visa. Students interested in an AAS or certificate must contact the International Student Services Office (ISSO) at or 954-201-7228 before applying.

Associate of Science (A.S.) in Health Science fields: These programs have limited access requiring specific admission criteria. Acceptance to Broward College does not guarantee acceptance to a Health Science program. International students are not eligible to receive an I-20 for a specific A.S. in a Health Sciences field without proof of acceptance from the Health Sciences Department. Students may apply for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) with a transfer major in Health Sciences to be able to take the prerequisites necessary to apply for an A.S. degree in Health Sciences at a later time. Students who were previously awarded a bachelor's degree are not eligible to apply for an A.A. degree. In this case, the student may apply to the A.S. in Health Science Navigator in order to take the prerequisites necessary to apply to the desired program later.

Programs not available to international students: International F1/M1 students are NOT eligible to enroll in certain programs, including, but not limited to, Automotive Service Management Technology, Marine Engineering Management, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Paramedic Technical Certificate, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Educator Preparation Institute (EPI), Medical Laboratory Technology*, and Culinary Arts Management*.

*Students who have completed the required articulated courses for the Medical Lab Tech or Culinary Arts programs at an authorized technical school may apply to the programs.

Bachelor's degree-seeking students: Must have earned a two-year degree or 60 credits before applying.

Students whose primary language is not English and wish to enroll in a degree program: Must provide proof of English proficiency. Students with a basic level of English proficiency can apply for the Language Training program (English as a Second Language) first. Upon completion of the language program, students can enroll in a college degree program.

online application instructions

Apply online at

1. Create a Login 

Create a login to be used for the application process. Make sure you have access to the email you provide as a validation code will be emailed to you.

2. Choose Enrollment Intention, Term, and Campus

Four options are available to international students:

  • Option 1: To transfer to another college or university (Associate of Arts degree). Designed for students who plan to transfer to a university to complete a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Option 2: To earn a two-year degree and enter the workforce with a specific skill set (Associate of Science).
  • Option 3: To earn a Bachelor’s degree at Broward College (only for students who have already completed an Associate's degree or 60 college-level credits).
  • Option 4: To enroll in college credit courses as a non-degree seeking student. Only for students who wish to enter the Language Training program - English as a Second Language (ESL). A basic level of English proficiency is required to enter this program. Students selecting this option will choose ESL under the Program of Study Selection page.
3. Completing the Address Section

If using an address outside of the United States, only enter the city and country and leave the spaces for state and zip code blank.

4. Immigration Information
  • Immigration Status: Select Non-Resident Alien
  • Visa Type: Select F1 Student Visa (leave visa issue and expiration dates blank)

Step 2: Submit Supporting Documents

Submit the electronic supporting documents available at A student's application is reviewed as soon as it is complete (all required documents and test scores received). The estimated review period is 7 to 10 business days (14 days during peak application times). Completed applications are reviewed in the order received. Priority is given to applications for the immediate upcoming term. There may be a processing delay for applications for future terms.

Supplemental Application

International Student Supplemental Application: This online Dynamic Form is used by international student applicants (F1 or M1 visa) to provide the personal information required during the application process to Broward College.

Note for filling out Dynamic Forms: You must create a username and password using your personal email. Your BC email will not be active until after you are enrolled. You can only use the BC username to log in to your student portal (MyBC page) at this time.

All documents MUST be attached to your Supplemental Application.

Documents to be attached to your Supplemental Application:

  • Passport (biographical page)
  • Education Records
    • High School (secondary education): Appropriate proof of high school graduation is required for acceptance. For most countries outside the United States, this is satisfied by attaching a copy of your official high school diploma or leaving the certificate to the Supplemental Application and then bringing the original document to Broward College after arriving in Florida.
      • For diplomas or leaving certificates with characters (i.e., Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and other languages), you must also provide a certified American Translators Association (ATA) English language translation of the document. Students with credentials from countries using the British education system must show General Proficiency on the GCE, CXC, BGCSE, WAEC, WASC, or HKCE exams, and should not submit high school transcripts or diplomas.
      • For high schools in the United States or overseas high schools that are regionally accredited by a U.S. accrediting body, an official transcript must be sent to the Registrar's Office.
    • University Transcripts (post-secondary education): Students who have attended a post-secondary institution must provide a copy of the official transcript even when courses are in progress. If the document is not in English, the applicant must also provide a certified English translation from a member of the American Translators Association (ATA). A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or its equivalent is required.
    • IMPORTANT: Original documents will be required upon arrival at Broward College. Records from the U.S. institutions must be OFFICIAL.
  • Current F1 Student Documents (if applicable)
    • If you are currently in the United States under an F1 visa, you must also attach to your Supplemental Application your current I-20, I-94, F1 visa (if applicable) and have your current Designated School Official (DSO) complete the F1 Transfer Eligibility Form. This form does not guarantee acceptance nor transfer. It is used to determine if the student can be transferred to Broward College upon acceptance.
  • Dependent(s) Record (if applicable)
    • If you are applying for your spouse or children to get an F2 visa, you must attach their passport biographical pages as well. 
    • If you are an F1 transfer student with dependents, we also need their I-20, I-94, and F2 visas.
Financial Documents
  • Financial Affidavit of Support: This online Dynamic Form is used by international student applicants (F1 or M1 visa) to provide proof of financial support for the duration of their studies at Broward College. Applicants will state if they have a financial sponsor(s) or they are using personal funds. Applicants who have more than one source of financial sponsorship will need to submit a Financial Affidavit of Support for each sponsor. The sponsor's bank statement or letter MUST be attached to the Financial Affidavit.
  • Note for sponsors filling out Dynamic Forms: The Financial Affidavit of Support is a Dynamic Form. If you are using a sponsor other than yourself, you will need an email for your sponsor that is different from yours. You should inform your sponsor(s) that they will need to create a username and password before being able to complete and electronically sign the form.
  • Most recent bank letter/statement: The account holder must be the same as the sponsor listed on the financial affidavit. If using a bank statement, you only need to submit the summary page showing the bank name, account holder, date of statement, account balance, and currency. If a currency is not shown on a bank statement or letter, ISSO will calculate conversion to USD based on the currency of the country where the bank is located. 
    • Estimated Annual Cost of Education:
      • Associate (freshman and sophomore level classes) - $22,500 USD
      • Associate in Science in Professional Pilot Technology - $50,000 USD
      • Bachelor (junior and senior-level classes) - $27,500 USD
      • Language Training program – $22,500 USD
      • $7,000 USD is required per dependent accompanying the F1
    • Students who start in Summer or Spring will need to expect first-year tuition costs of $15,000 to $20,000. See Estimated Cost of Attendance for additional information.
    • Fees are subject to change without notice.
  • Affidavit of Support for Living Expenses (THIS FORM IS OPTIONAL): Provide this form only if the applicant will be living with a relative or friend in South Florida who will be responsible for all living expenses (i.e. housing, transportation, food, etc.) for the duration of the student's studies. If this form is provided, the financial sponsor can deduct USD $12,500 from the total funds required for the student and USD $7,000 for each dependent, if applicable.

Disclaimer: Students who use the Affidavit of Support for Living Expenses may be required to present Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) to the embassy when applying for the F-1 student visa. Students must contact the American Embassy, before going for the interview, to make sure he/they are bringing all the necessary financial documents. The I-134 is presented to the embassy, not Broward College.

English Proficiency for Non-Native Speakers 

Students from non-English speaking countries must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge, or other ELL test scores eligible for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course placement. If a non-English speaking student has valid SAT or ACT scores that show they are at college level placement, that can be used for proof of English proficiency.

If the applicant wants to receive a Form I-20 for a college degree program, placement must be at the college level, otherwise, their I-20 will be for the EAP program.

Step 3: Pay the Application Fee

Pay the $75 (USD) non-refundable application fee:

  • Log in to your student account.
    • Use the password you created when you completed your online application.
  • Create password recovery questions, then click on the student portal tile (myBC).
  • Read and complete all the policies before moving to the next step.
    • Note: If you do not see your information at the top of the page for the 2nd policy on finances, you have been logged out. Restart the browser (close and open the browser).
  • Once you get to your myBC homepage, you will see the $75 fee is owed in the top right corner. Click My Financials > Payment, and select your payment option.

The term displayed is always for the current term even if you applied for a future term. Don't worry, the application fee is applied to you regardless of the term displayed. This is a one-time, non-refundable fee.

Step 4: Testing

Students from English-speaking countries must take a PERT/ACCUPLACER test unless they have valid SAT or ACT scores or postsecondary transcripts, from U.S. regionally accredited institutions, that may waive them from testing.

Students from non-English speaking countries submit a valid TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge, or other valid test on the EAP Placement Test Table. If you are in South Florida, you may be able to take the Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) test on a Broward College campus if it is available. Online testing of the LOEP may also be available. 

Students from non-English speaking countries with valid college-level SAT or ACT scores in English and Reading, do not need any further testing.

Applicants from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, showing high school transcripts with the following English grades, are eligible to take the Post-Secondary Education Readiness Test (PERT). However, if the applicant does not place at the college level for reading and English, an ELL test that is eligible for placement must be submitted or the applicant must take the LOEP.

  • Sweden - VG (pass with distinction) or higher (1996-2012). VG is equivalent to B in the U.S.
  • Sweden - D or higher (as of June 2014). D is equivalent to B in the U.S.
  • Norway - 4 (good competence in the subject) or higher. 4 is equivalent to B in the U.S.
  • Denmark - C (good) or higher. C is equivalent to B in the U.S.

Applicants attending ELS Educational Services, Inc. may present proof of completion of level 109 or higher, The student is required to take the Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) online for placement before acceptance.

Request an appointment for on-campus PERT/ACCUPLACER or LOEP testing. You can also request a remote PERT/ACCUPLACER test at that link as well.

For LOEP remote testing, please send an email with your name and BC student ID number to

Step 5: Acceptance Packet

A student's application is reviewed as soon as it is complete (all required documents and test scores received). The estimated review period is 7 to 10 business days (14 days during peak application times). Completed applications are reviewed in the order received. Priority is given to applications for the immediate upcoming term. There may be a processing delay for applications for future terms. If the application is complete and the applicant is admissible, the student will be notified and the acceptance packet and I-20 immigration document will be sent to the student.

Applying for the F-1 visa in the Home Country: The student will receive the acceptance letter and I-20 to apply for the student visa at the American Embassy or Consulate in his/her home country.

Once the F-1 student visa is approved, the student may travel to the United States no earlier than thirty (30) days before the program start date as stated on the I-20.

Transferring the I-20: If the student is transferring the I-20 from another institution to Broward College, the International Student Services Office (ISSO) will process the acceptance letter. The student will bring the letter to the Designated School Official (DSO) at his/her current institution who will release the I-20 electronically in SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) to Broward College. The DSO will not release the I-20 to Broward College until the student provides the acceptance letter.

Changing the current immigration status: If the student intends to do a change of immigration status in the United States, he or she needs to seek legal counsel to understand the process. The International Student Services Office (ISSO) will process the I-20 for the change of status after meeting with the applicant. International students are only eligible to register for classes once the change of status is approved by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

Florida Residency

Students in F-1 or M-1 status are considered temporary residents of the United States and may not be deemed Florida residents for tuition purposes.

Federal Income Tax

International students must file an income tax return each year. Form 8843 is required if the student has not worked, and forms 8843 and 1040NR are required if the student has worked. International students should contact the local Internal Revenue Office (IRS) for further information. Forms can be obtained online at

All non-residents are subject to U.S. federal income tax, unless exempted. Federal income tax may be withheld from U.S. source funds students receive from the college such as scholarships or employment. Certain countries have tax treaties with the US where some taxes may be reduced or exempted and recouped at year end from the IRS. For participating countries, please visit the IRS website.


International students are not permitted to work off campus without approval. On-campus employment is permitted. Please contact the International Student Services Office (ISSO) for additional information on employment.

Financial Assistance

Non-U.S. Citizens (or non-eligible residents) do not qualify for Federal or State Student Financial aid. International students already attending Broward College may qualify for institutional scholarships. They are encouraged to visit to explore scholarship opportunities.

Social Security Number

If a student has a Social Security Number (SSN) or a Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), federal law requires that it be furnished to the College so that it may be included on all documents filed by the institution with the Internal Revenue Service. Students who fail to furnish the College with the correct SSN or ITIN may be subject to an IRS penalty of $100 unless the failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.

Contact Information

Contact information for international student admission can be obtained from the College website.