Veterans Services

Students who have served in the US Armed Forces may be eligible to receive Veterans’ educational benefits to assist with educational expenses as well as Title IV Financial Aid funds. Veterans benefits may also extend to the spouse and children of Veterans who are 100% permanently and totally disabled.

The Veterans Services staff at Broward College acts as liaisons between the Veteran students and the Veterans Administration by offering the following:

  • Submission of completed forms to the Veterans Administration
  • Certification of attendance
  • Certification of tuition
  • Current news and information
  • Checking on the status of payments, housing, and tuition
  • Verifying sponsor information for dependents
  • Checking status of applications
  • Verifying entitlement

Veterans needing additional assistance with Veterans education benefits should visit or call toll-free 888-442-4551 (888-GIBILL1) to speak with a Veterans Administration representative.

Broward College has Veterans support services on each campus to further assist Veterans with their transition to college. Veterans must submit a Veteran Benefits Certification request form each term they are enrolled, in order to be certified by the Veterans Services. Broward College has approved programs for Veterans training which includes pursuing approved Associate and Bachelor's degrees and some certificate programs.

Veterans are encouraged to apply for experiential learning credit for training received in the Armed Forces in order to accelerate their educational goals. The Broward College Admissions Office will grant credit for evaluated military education that has been recommended as suitable for postsecondary credit by the American Council on Education Guide. Veterans who served in the Army, Coast Guard, Marines, or Navy will request an official transcript: Joint Services Transcript (JST) Veterans who served in the Air Force will need to request their transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

For more detailed information, see the Credits for Prior Learning section of this catalog. Once an official Military transcript (JST or CCAF) is received, the Veteran must meet with an Academic Advisor and request a review of military training.

Veterans who have submitted a certification request form will be certified by the Broward College Veterans Coordinator. Certification includes attendance as well as academic progress. More detailed information on attendance requirements and other necessary paperwork may be found on the Broward College website. Veterans needing additional assistance with their benefits can email or visit the VA website or call toll-free 888-442-4551 (888-GIBILL1) to speak with a Veterans Administration representative.

For more information, visit Broward College Veterans website at


Veterans receiving benefits must complete all coursework each term to avoid being billed for withdrawing or being dropped from classes. If a Veteran student does not attend class after the drop and add period in each session, the student will be withdrawn from classes and/or receive a failing grade for non-attendance. Withdrawing from or dropping courses could result in termination of benefits and/or owing money to the VA and Broward College. It is the Veteran’s responsibility to notify the Veteran Coordinator before withdrawing from any class at any point during the term. 

Veterans who receive Title IV funding (Financial Aid) must adhere to the withdrawal policies (6hx2-4.19 and 6hx2-5.36) and the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy (6hx2-6.46).


Active duty refers to all personnel serving full-time in one of the branches of the military service branches. Broward College provides Active Duty students who are serving in the US military, the in-state tuition rate. To receive the in-state tuition rate, Active Duty service members must submit copies of their military orders to the Admissions department.

Active Duty service members, eligible Reservists, and National Guardsmen can also use their military benefits at Broward College. Tuition Assistance (TA) and Educational Dollars for Duty (EDD) are military benefits that pay the cost of tuition, up to 16 credits or $4000 per year for the Army; up to $4500 per year for the Air Force, Navy, and Marines; and up to $3750 per year for the Coast Guard. These programs are administered and sponsored by the service member's specific branch of the military. To use military Tuition Assistance or Educational Dollars for Duty at Broward College, Active Duty, Reservist, and National Guard students must submit a copy of the Tuition Assistance voucher or Educational Dollars for Duty voucher to the Cashier's office.

Students using TA or EDD are responsible for obtaining the approved voucher and submitting it to the Cashier’s Office. The Cashier’s Office will apply tuition coverage once the voucher is received and classes for the student will not be dropped while BC waits to receive payment from the military.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to notify their Command and the Broward College Bursar’s office of schedule changes in circumstances where the military TA or EDD is covering tuition. TA and EDD students must pay any charges not covered by TA or EDD by the College's established due date to prevent classes from being dropped for non-payment. TA and EDD students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as well. Completing the FAFSA does not affect TA or EDD. 


Veterans, Reservists, and National Guardsmen who have resided in the state of Florida for more than twelve months prior to their start date, as determined by the documentation required by Admissions, may be eligible for Florida residency. Students who meet the residency requirement must complete the Florida residency process with Admissions to determine if they are eligible. 

Veterans, Reservists, and National Guardsmen who have not resided in the state of Florida for at least twelve months prior to starting classes at Broward College may request an in-state fee waiver under the Congressman C.W. “Bill” Young Veteran Tuition Waiver Program.  Proof of physical residence and a copy of the student’s DD-214 (Member 4) must be submitted to Admissions for the waiver to be applied. The tuition waiver must be requested each semester.

For Veterans who do not have their residency or waiver confirmed, coverage for only the in-state amount of tuition charges will be added to their account and a payment extension will be granted until residency or the waiver is applied. It is the Veteran’s responsibility to monitor the status of their residency or waiver request and provide any additional documentation required for residency or the waiver to be applied by Admissions and to request a further payment extension if their due date is imminent and the out of state charges are still on their account. It is the Veteran’s responsibility to monitor the progress of their residency or waiver request and their due date. Failure to do so will result in classes being dropped for non-payment.