(Restricted Admission-Limited Access)
Location(s): Program specific courses for this program are offered at the A. Hugh Adams Central Campus.
Program Entrance Requirements: All candidates entering the program must have proof of a standard high school diploma or GED and are required to complete the pre-program testing through Broward College Institute of Public Safety Regional Selection Center. The candidate must complete and achieve passing scores (10.0 on all sections) on the TABE test (Adult Basic Ability Test). All test registrations must be completed online. Candidates who are seeking to sponsor themselves must complete the above test first before contacting the open enrollment coordinator. For additional information on this process, please visit our website at www.broward.edu/ips. Seating is limited to 40 students per academy program.
The Police Service Aide Academy Training Program is a limited access program. The Institute is certified by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission to provide basic and advanced training. The Police Service Aide Academy prepares students for employment as Parking Enforcement Specialists, Traffic Crash Investigators, and Community Service Officers in accordance with Chapters 316.640 and 943, Florida Statute. Courses of study include but are not limited to First Responder, Vehicle Operation, Interpersonal Skills Traffic Control, Legal, Ethics, Crime Scene Investigation and Courtroom Preparation and Testimony. Practical skills and simulated activities complement the classroom instruction. This minimum standards program is regulated by Florida statutes, The Florida Department of Education, The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and is a highly structured and disciplined program. Upon successful completion of the training Program, a student is eligible to seek employment as a Police Service Aide or Community Service Officer. For additional information on agency requirements for hire, students should refer the hiring agency.
Additional Program Information
Students completing their academy training who do not already have a degree are strongly encouraged to continue their education by completing the A.S. degree in Criminal Justice Technology. Students who complete the Police Service Aide Academy are eligible to receive 3 college credits towards the A.S. degree in Criminal Justice Technology. For additional information, contact the program manager at 954-201-6791 or 954-201-6792.
|CJK0110||PARKING ENFORCEMENT SPECIALIST||16.00|
|CJK0112||TRAFFIC ACCIDENT / CRASH INVESTIGATOR||80.00|
|CJK0114||POLICE SERVICE AIDE||110.00|
|Total Program Clock Hours||206|
Notes: For Self-Sponsored candidates:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License- applicants must provide a copy of their current driving history for review. – Contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
- United States Citizenship not a requirement.
- Be of Good Moral Character; having no felony convictions; no misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury, false statement as outlined in Florida State Statute.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States and Provide copy of military documents.
- Must successfully pass the TABE test. Test Registration is to be completed on line at http://www.broward.edu/ips.
- For more information on testing, please call us at 954-201-6791 or 954-201-6792.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor to create a personalized educational plan.
Credit for Prior Learning
Accelerate your path to completion with these options:
- Credit by exam
- Earned industry certifications
- Prior Learning Assessment
- And much more…
Related Industry Certifications
Upon completing this program, graduates will be eligible to sit for the following industry certifications/licenses:
- Broward College, Institute of Public Safety, Certificate of Completion
Get an Internship
After completing your first year of coursework make sure to visit Career Services for internship opportunities and helpful tools like virtual job shadow, to help take your career to the next level!
Median Wage and Job Growth Outlook
Broward College has Career Coach! It is designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training.